The convent was built in 1560 by D. Álvaro de Castro, a place isolated and inhospitable. The natural conditions must have had a strong influence on the choice of location of the convent at its foundation.
The convent became famous for its extreme poverty, for the construction and their own living conditions. The ordinance of the convent, a simple shed with wooden beams and ceiling lined with cork, immediately clarify about poverty and ascetic rigor that guided this building rustic and primitive.
Still inhabited with certainty at the end of the 18th Century the Convent of Santa Cruz Capuchin should have been abandoned in 1834, with the extinction of the religious orders determined by the liberal regime.