It appears to us like a fairy tale castle.
Is the most complete and notable example of Portuguese Romantic architecture. Built about 500 meters of altitude, dates back to 1839, when King Consort Dom Fernando II of Saxe Coburg-Gotha (1816-1885) bought the ruins of the Monastery of Our Lady of Pena and started to adapt the palace. To oversee the work, he called Baron Eschwege, who was inspired by the palaces of Bavaria to build this remarkable building. Extremely fanciful architecture Pena is a mix of Moorish, Gothic and Manueline, but also the Wagnerian spirit of the Schinkel castles central Europe. Located 4.5 km from the historic center.