S. Leonardo da Galafura is one of the most beautiful sights of all the Douro region, the viewpoint of S. Leonardo,
S. Leonardo da Galafura is one of the most beautiful sights of all the Douro region, the viewpoint of S. Leonardo, where Miguel Torga “plunged” into the river and the landscape embrenhava this magnanimous “Doiro sublimated”, who in one of his “Daily” called “excessive nature”. About a stone’s recorded an excerpt of the work of what is considered one of the greatest Portuguese writers of the twentieth century, in which the Douro is a constant presence. This place have to legends and stories that increase the charm of these stops, one of the most beautiful places in the county reguense, must stop for anyone visiting the Douro.
Mount St. Leonardo is located east of the town of Galafura and 566 meters of altitude. Here there was a Roman fort, which was Governor Galafre, etymology of the current name of the parish Galafura.
The village was founded by the Moors in the West side of Mount St. Leonardo, the place still known as Fountain of the Moors, at a distance of 5 Km’s from the current location. In this place, also known as Moorish cemetery, there are graves dug in the rock new, having appeared utensils identified as Roman, the latter of which there are about three years – a gold coin with the effigy and name of Agrippina. In memory of some residents, lies the finding of crocks with ashes, which indicates that already in Roman times, the dead were cremated. The village was forced to move to the site where, due to an invasion of ants.
At Mount St. Leonardo, formed of flint and quartz, are several Roman wells, some very deep, as a result of research and extraction of minerals. A statistical document, publication date 1842, according to the reform of May 21, 1841, said to have existed in Galafura a strike length of quicksilver. As Covelinhas, Galafura also integrated the county of cinnamon.