Jurumenha´s Castle- Alentejo region
The region of Juromenha , probably due to its strategic position along the Guadiana River, was occupied by others before the Romans. The Muslim occupation lasted almost two centuries, but in 1167, D.Afonso Henriques took this castle, which would again be conquered by the Moors. Finally, in 1191 returned to the Portuguese possession.
It was fortified and a 40mts tower built in 1312, during D.Dinis reign. Suffered a devastation with the 1755 Earthquake.
Today, after several reconstructions it´s in ruins.
Considered Property of Public Interest.